Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Dear Being Upside Down

This piece is from a prompt where we were suppose to write a love letter so something that we loved. I love being upside down....
----

Dear Being Upside Down,

I love you. You are the feeling of freedom that comes when I am upside down. You are the connection that I get when I’m on someone else’s feet during an AcroJam. You are the strength that I show when I’m holding my entire body on my hands. I love you.

When I am sitting at my desk trying to focus on a boring meeting, there is a part of me that is with you. There is a part of my subconscious that are doing barrel rolls and, despite not actually moving, I can feel myself swing one leg over and back as I transition from inverted bat to bird. Or maybe a part of me is internally doing a handstand against the wall that my manager is speaking in front of.

You are always with me because you are freeing. You show me ways to go beyond the limits of my own body. You build me up. And sometimes you literally knock me down, but in a good way that I can laugh about. Like when I try to do a handstand after drinking a beer. Alcohol lowers my inhibition to stay upright, but it also makes my arm muscles a bit.. Okay… majorly unstable. So you keep me honest.

Why do I love you? Why do I feel more natural upside down? I’m not super sure. But I hate being stuck in my same chair every day. Sometimes I just want to sit in it with my feet hanging over the back. I can’t be very productive like that, but it mixes things up. It’s also a good way to practice back bends. I really need to work on those.


So yes, being upside down you are a big part of my life and I hope that you stay that way. I hope that we have many more days together. And many more meetings where I’m just not paying attention because I’m practicing acroyoga in my head. Whether it is in Yoga, Acro, Aerial, or just handstands, let’s have more fun together!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment